Frequently Asked Questions

​​Q: How do I apply for health care coverage?

You may apply:

  • ​In Person at County Department of Human Assistance (DHA) offices.  See DHA website for locations.
  • By Mail with a Single Streamlined Application, provided in English and other languages.  Send completed and signed applications to your local county social services office
  • By Phone at (916) 874-3100 or (209) 744-0499.
  • Online at or   Applications completed on the Covered California website are securely routed to a DHA eligibility office.
  • Covered California at
    • You can apply for Medi-Cal through Covered California year round.
    • Covered California is also where you can get health insurance under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and see if you qualify for financial subsidies. Open enrollment for health plans through Covered California is November 1st through January 31st. Individuals who experience a qualifying life event may be eligible to enroll in private coverage through Covered California by applying for special enrollment.


Q: How do I choose or change my Medi-Cal health plan?

Call Health Care Options at 1-800-430-4263.  Health Care Options can also help with choosing a dental plan.


Q: How do I schedule a doctor's appointment at the Sacramento County Health Center?

Call the Sacramento County Health Center at (916) 874-9670.


Q: Where would I obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate?

Call Sacramento County Vital Records at (916) 875-5345.


Q: How do I report a public health concern?

Report public health concerns to Sacramento County Public Health at (916) 875-5881.