Purposes of the Sacramento County Behavioral Health Youth Advisory Board (YAB) include:
- To develop and empower a diverse group of youth to use their voices and talents to improve their community and advise policy leaders on what is needed to create a youth-friendly behavioral health community, including mental health as well as substance use prevention and treatment;
- To increase youth voices and engagement in the development and implementation of policies, practices, and programs that impact the behavioral health and wellbeing of Sacramento County youth up to age twenty-four, through;
- Direct input and feedback regarding the behavioral health and wellness needs of youth to the Board of Supervisors and other public agencies, committees, and coalitions, and;
- Engagement with public agencies and other related committees and workgroups;
- To expand the number of trusted peer-to-peer messengers around youth behavioral health and wellbeing;
- To increase the community of youth with skills to:
- Understand formal behavioral health systems,
- Discuss and describe behavioral health and wellbeing,
- Advocate for a youth friendly, culturally-relevant behavioral health and wellness system of supports; and
- Envision and promote a youth-friendly behavioral health community; and
- To engage the public and other community-based youth groups within Sacramento County and its cities to develop a youth advocacy agenda around behavioral health and wellness.
Behavioral Health Youth Advisory Board Meetings
Our meetings are held on the first and third Friday of the month from 5:30pm to 7:30pm. These meetings are open to the public and members of the community are encouraged to attend.
To slow the transmission of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and due to the Public Order, all meetings are being held remotely until further notice. Please see the meeting agendas on the Meetings 2022 webpage for remote access details.
Behavioral Health Youth Advisory Board (YAB)
How to Join the Behavioral Health Youth Advisory Board
A list of available Behavioral Health Youth Advisory Board seats can be found at
Sacramento County Boards and Commissions.
Interested parties can
apply for appointment
to an available seat.